The death toll in the devastating floods that hit eastern Kentucky this week is expected to continue to rise as search and rescue efforts are ongoing.
As of Saturday, at least 25 individuals had been identified dead as a result of the severe storms that caused record flash flooding and mudslides and landslides.
Gov. Andy Beshear had previously said six children were among the dead but during a press conference Saturday afternoon, confirmed that two of the victims were actually adults- thus reducing the number of child fatalities to four.
The death toll is likely to continue to grow as search efforts are still underway and many people remain unaccounted for.
As search and rescue efforts continue in the wake of devastating floods in Kentucky, officials say the death toll is likely to rise.
With many areas still inaccessible and cell service down in some parts of the state, it has been difficult to get an accurate count of missing people.
Governor Andy Beshear has asked for patience as crews work to reach all of the affected areas, some of which are among the poorest in the state.
At least two people have been killed and more than 700 rescued so far as torrential rains and severe flooding continue to impact parts of Kentucky.
With more rain in the forecast, officials are urging people in impacted areas to remain vigilant and take precautions to stay safe.
The death toll is likely to rise as search and rescue efforts continue, Kentucky Gov. Andy Beshear said Saturday.
“Our goal today is to get as many people to safety as possible,” he said.
Flood warnings are in effect for a large portion of Kentucky until Sunday evening, according to the National Weather Service.
Latest posts by Brent J. Smith (see all)
- Armed man allegedly tries to breach Cincinnati FBI building, shots fired - August 11, 2022
- Canadian rock guitarist found dead in home, with own son suspected of his murder - August 10, 2022
- DOJ: Iranian operative charged in plot to assasinate U.S. national security advisor John Bolton - August 10, 2022