The Biden Administration wants to restart construction along the border wall which was started by former President Donald J. Trump.
The reason for this, according to the administration, is that there are gaps that need to be closed along the wall started by Biden’s predecessor Donald J. Trump. As well, the wall may be restarted due to the sharp rise in the number of illegal immigrants crossing the border. According to the Washington Times, Homeland Security Secretary Alejandro Mayorkas told workers that construction may restart in order to plug in or fill in the gaps between the current border between the United States and Mexico. Biden had previously frozen all Department of Defense funding towards the border wall through executive order.
Currently the border is facing unprecedented numbers of illegal immigrant crossings and record numbers of migrants at border facilities. Talks of restarting construction of the border wall comes after President Biden recently ended the executive order in some parts to resume building the wall. Mayorkas stated “the president has communicated quite clearly his decision that the emergency that triggered the devotion of DOD funds to the construction of the border wall is ended,But that leaves room to make decisions as the administration – as part of the administration – in particular areas of the wall that need renovation, particular projects that need to be finished.”
The surge at the border has become quite a big problem. Border officials are struggling to find enough space in facilities to house the migrants. The Biden administration has said that they will turn away most of the adults at the border, they will not turn away the children. In March a record 19,000 minors arrived at the border, as well thousands of adults, in order to get into the United States. Many facilities are holding well over 100% of their capacity. Some facilities have even gone 1000% above their capacity limit. This is also of concern due to COVID-19 and any sort of social distancing practically impossible as well many have gotten into the facilities without getting tested for COVID. Footage has also revealed many children simply being dropped over the border by smugglers, including infants.
ARTICLE: AANAND MOHATO
POLITICS EDITOR: CARSON CHOATE
PHOTO CREDITS: NBC NEWS
Latest posts by Carson Choate (see all)
- Nearly two million Black Americans may have been left out of 2020 census, analysis suggests - October 17, 2021
- Rep. Bass kicks off campaign for LA mayor, promises to make homelessness a top priority - October 17, 2021
- Tempe historical records find schools, parks, street names linked to KKK members - October 17, 2021