Air Force Secretary: ‘Haven’t made a decision on U.S. Space Command’
March 30, 2023
President Biden delivered an address on Thursday regarding the downed aerial objects that have made international headlines in the past week, and revealed that the last three objects shot down were not of Chinese origin.
Speaking from the White House, Biden explained that to date, there are no indications that the objects shot out of the sky over Canada, Alaska, and Lake Huron over the last several days came from China, and appear to be private craft. He also pledged to speak with Chinese President Xi Jinping about the confirmed Chinese spy balloon that was taken down by the US military over South Carolina waters last week after traversing most of the continental United States.
“We are not looking for a new cold war,” said Biden. “I expect to be speaking with President Xi. I hope we are going to get to the bottom of this, but I make no apologies for taking down that balloon.” Beijing previously criticized the US’ decision to take down the balloon, warning that China reserves the right to act in a similar manner if provoked.
China once again expressed its displeasure over the balloon, which it claims was blown off course into US airspace. Chinese Foreign Ministry spokesman Wang Wenbin said during remarks on Wednesday, “China is strongly opposed to this and will take countermeasures against relevant U.S. entities that have undermined our sovereignty and security to firmly safeguard our sovereignty and legitimate rights and interests,” according to Time.
In remarks to NBC after his address today, Biden reiterated that he did not want Sino-US relations to falter over the balloon incident, saying, “I think the last thing that Xi wants is to fundamentally rip the relationship with the United States and with me.”
ARTICLE: LAURA SPIVAK
MANAGING EDITOR: LUKE MOCHERMAN
PHOTO CREDIT: 6ABC