Multiple lawsuits have been filed against Travis Scott, Drake, Live Nation and others after eight people were killed and hundreds injured on Friday at Houston’s Astroworld Festival.
According to Billboard, one injured attendee, Manuel Souza, has filed a lawsuit against Travis Scott, Live Nation, and organizer ScoreMore as well as others for the amount of $1 million. His lawyers accuse the festival organizers of negligence in the face of what can be considered a “predictable and preventable tragedy.”
The suit was filed on Nov. 6 in the Harris County District Court. It states multiple incidents which could have minimized the causalities such as a large security breach caught on film in which concertgoers broke through the security gate.
Souza also states staff and organizers “made a conscious decision to let the show go on, despite the risk of harm to concertgoers that was escalating at the moment.” Several videos have gone viral where audience members notified camera operators to stop the show and were dismissed (Paste Magazine).
Another attendee, Kristian Paredes, has filed a lawsuit against Scott, Live Nation, Harris County Sports and Convention Corporation, and Drake. The suit says Paredes was seriously injured at the show and claims both Scott and Drake “incited the crowd.”
It continues with “there is every indication that the performers, organizers and venue were not only aware of the hectic crowd but also that injuries and potential deaths may have occurred.” Paredes is also seeking at least $1 million (My San Antonio).
REVOLT continues to cover the story and states police are currently investigating what caused multiple people to die. So far, it has been reported how several attendees suffered cardiac arrest and one police officer was stabbed with a hypodermic needle.
On social media concertgoers claimed a forceful surge through the crowd resulted in people being trampled and unable to breathe. According to Paste Magazine there are unconfirmed reports of laced drugs.
The Houston Chronicle states police and firefighters said there was a “mass casualty” event at the festival around 9:38 pm local time which was about 30 minutes after Scott started his set. He continued to perform and finished the show at the scheduled time of 10:15 p.m.
In an Instagram statement, both Kylie Jenner and Travis Scott did not know there were fatalities until after the show. Scott has announced he will refund all attendees and has also cancelled his Day N Vegas concert on Nov. 13.
ARTICLE: MAUREEN MCGAURAN
MANAGING EDITOR: CARSON CHOATE
PHOTO CREDITS: HIPHOPDX.COM
Latest posts by Maureen McGauran (see all)
- Democrats call on NJ Republican gubernatorial nominee to concede - November 10, 2021
- Oregon lawmakers don’t have to follow redistricting law, Democratic lawmakers claim - November 10, 2021
- Travis Scott, Drake hit with multiple lawsuits after deaths at Astroworld Festival - November 9, 2021