Relatives of the victims of the Sept. 11 attacks are reportedly calling for the Justice Department’s inspector general to investigate the failure of the FBI to produce certain pieces of evidence from its investigation.
The victims’ relatives regard the missing evidence as crucial in proving their premise that the Saudi kingdom was complicit in the attacks of 9/11. This thesis forms the foundation of a pending federal lawsuit in New York, though U.S. investigations have not conclusively established such a link.
Among the alleged pieces of evidence the families say the FBI has failed to produce are, phone records of calls between conspirators in the attacks, records of witness interviews and photographs of a Saudi diplomat with two of the hijackers, Nawaf al-Hazmi and Khalid al-Mihdhar outside a mosque, in southern California (SF Gate).
The families also asked the FBI to turn over a video they say shows a Saudi national having a party for two of the hijackers, but last year the FBI said it has searched for the recording and has not been unable to find it.
The FBI said it could not locate the evidence that the families had requested. In the case of a photograph, the FBI they were not aware of it and “its search did not reveal the photograph.”
The complaint filed urges Inspector General Michael Horowitz to “examine whether one or more FBI officials committed willful misconduct with intent to destroy or secrete evidence to avoid its disclosure” (ABC News).
ARTICLE: TAMMY FISHBACK
MANAGING EDITOR: CARSON CHOATE
PHOTO CREDITS: FORTUNE
Latest posts by Tammy Fishback (see all)
- New York City overdose deaths have spiked 36 percent in 2021, CDC data shows - October 17, 2021
- NYPD to instruct law enforcement not to intervene if people seen shooting up on city streets - October 17, 2021
- ‘View’ staff allegedly banned from talking to Meghan McCain by executive producer - October 17, 2021