Upon demolition of the remaining portion of the Surfside, FL condo, the death toll has continued to rise and the number of missing people remains over 100.
At the time of reporting, the death toll is reported to be 27. A section of the Champlain Towers South condominiums collapsed unexpectedly earlier this month. An investigation into the incident found reports of ‘major structural damage’ unbeknownst to residents who were told the building was ‘in very good shape.’
Search crews sifted through debris for the first week, however, little progress was made. “Truly, we could not continue without bringing this building down,” Miami-Dade County mayor Daniella Levine Cava said. “The area closest to the building was not accessible, due to the enormous risk to the team of first responders, because of the instability of the building.”
According to Cava, the demolition “was executed exactly as planned.” She acknowledged that demolishing homes “is a devastating decision.” The mayor told reporters that law enforcement and officials are working with insurance companies and the Federal Emergency Management Agency to streamline victims’ claims.
ARTICLE: ANTOINETTE AHO
MANAGING EDITOR: CARSON CHOATE
PHOTO CREDITS: ABC NEWS
Latest posts by Antoinette Aho (see all)
- Congressional primary elections in Ohio test progressive influence, Trump clout - August 4, 2021
- New York AG investigation concludes Gov. Cuomo harassed multiple women and abused his authority - August 4, 2021
- New York City to require proof of vaccination to enter restaurants, gyms, and indoor venues - August 4, 2021