Former national security adviser John Bolton has announced plans to launch a presidential bid in 2024 in an attempt to thwart former President Donald Trump’s chances of getting re-elected.
Bolton said his primary focus as president would be pushing for America to adopt a tougher line against nations such as China and Russia.
“I wouldn’t run as a vanity candidate. If I didn’t think I could run seriously then I wouldn’t get in the race,” Bolton told ITV’s “Good Morning Britain” program. “I would get in to win the nomination and I would do it primarily on the basis that we need a much stronger foreign policy.”
“I think it’s important that it’s understood not just in Moscow, but it’s understood in places like Beijing, that unprovoked aggression against your neighbours, is not something the United States and its allies will tolerate,” Bolton added.
Bolton previously served as former President George W. Bush’s Ambassador to the UN where he defended the invasion of Iraq.
Bolton told NBC News last month that he would run if there was no other GOP candidate who stepped forward to challenge Trump.
Trump’s chances of winning in 2024 have fallen significantly in the last year, according to multiple polls, and Florida Governor Ron DeSantis is currently seen as the Republican favorite.
ARTICLE: PAUL MURDOCH
MANAGING EDITOR: CARSON CHOATE
PHOTO CREDITS: NBC NEWS
Latest posts by Paul Murdoch (see all)
- U.S. Court rules ban on marijuana users owning guns is unconstitutional - February 7, 2023
- State media reports Iran’s supreme leader pardons ‘tens of thousands’ of prisoners - February 7, 2023
- China hits back after the US shoots down “spy balloon.” - February 6, 2023