Uvalde mother who was detained by police says they are now threatening her for speaking out

A mother who ran into an elementary school to rescue her two children during a mass shooting in Uvalde, Texas, last week says police threatened to violate her probation for speaking about the incident to reporters.

Speaking with CBS Mornings, Angeli Gomez—whose two sons both had graduations on the day of the Robb Elementary School shooting—recalled leaving work that morning after learning of the shooting in progress. Gomez says she was met with Marshals immediately upon arriving at the school.

“Right away as I parked, U.S. Marshals started coming toward my car and saying I wasn’t allowed to be parked there,” she said. “And he said, ‘Well, we’re gonna have to arrest you because you’re being very uncooperative.’ I said, ‘Well, you’re gonna have to arrest me because I’m going in there and I’m telling you right now, I don’t see none of y’all in there. Y’all are standing with snipers and y’all are far away. If y’all don’t go in there, I’m going in there.’ He immediately put me in cuffs.”

Uvalde officers are then said to have told Marshals to uncuff Gomez, at which point she jumped a fence and went to make contact with her children, encountering additional law enforcement pushback in the process.

According to Gomez, no officers were inside the school when she ran toward her second son’s class. At the time, she said, gunshots could still be heard.

“You could hear the gunshots,” she told the news outlet. “There was not one officer inside the school while I ran to my second son’s class. There was not one officer,” she added. “They could have saved many more lives. They could have gone into that classroom…they could have done something.”

A total of 19 students and two teachers were killed that day after 18-year-old gunman Salvador Ramos entered the school and opened fire.

After speaking critically about the incident to media outlets, Gomez said an officer threatened to charge her for violating probation on an unrelated charge for “obstruction of justice.” However, she added that she spoke to a local judge who assured her that she was “brave” and that she would not face legal repercussions for sharing her story.

More than a week after the shooting, it has been revealed that a local police chief told nearly two dozen officers to stand down, under the assumption that the shooter had barricaded himself inside a classroom and that children were no longer under an active threat. That decision, however, allowed the gunman to carry out his deadly rampage within a concentrated area of the school for almost an hour.



Leave a Reply