Entertainment

House committee launches investigation into Travis Scott’s deadly concert

On Wednesday, members of the House Oversight Committee said a bipartisan investigation is being launched into the events at Travis Scott’s Astroworld festival in Houston on November 5. The crowd rushed the stage during a concert, which resulted in 10 deaths. 

Members of the committee wrote to CEO of Live Nation Michel Rapino, “Recent reports raise serious concerns about whether your company took adequate steps to ensure the safety of the 50,000 concertgoers who attended Astroworld Festival.”

Live Nation was the group that organized the festival, which was headlined by rapper Travis Scott. In a statement emailed to CNBC, Live Nation said the company will “of course share information with the committee.” 

Hundreds were injured at the concert, and 10 attendees, people ranging in age from nine to 27, were killed as a result of a crowd rush. A Houston medical examiner confirmed last week that all 10 people were suffocated and basically crushed to death in the crowd.

“Safety is core to live events and Live Nation engages in detailed security planning in coordination with local stakeholders including law enforcement, fire and EMT professionals,” the company continued. “We are heartbroken by the events at Astroworld and our deepest sympathies go out to the families and friends of the victims.”

After the festival, several news outlets reported poor security planning by the organizers of the event, leading many to believe the deaths were preventable.

Live Nation, Apple, Travis Scott, and several other performers are already facing multiple lawsuits that claim they cut corners on organizing security. More than 300 suits were filed in connection with the incident as of December 6. Scott has denied allegations against him in at least 11 of the lawsuits. 

ARTICLE: ELIZABETH HERTZBERG

MANAGING EDITOR: CARSON CHOATE

PHOTO CREDITS: NBCDFW.COM

Leave a Reply