News

Chicago paying $1.2 million over police shooting of 14-year-old

The family of a 14-year-old boy fatally shot by a Chicago police officer more than seven years ago has reached a $1.2 million lawsuit settlement with city officials.

The family disputed accounts from the officer that Pedro Rios Jr. pointed a gun at the officer several times during a foot chase before the officer shot the teen in July 2014.

Rios family attorney Mark Brown told the Chicago Sun-Times that the case was weeks away from a trial when the settlement was reached. Brown said that while Rios was carrying a gun at the time, however there was no evidence that he pulled it from his waistband before he was shot in the back.

Chicago’s Independent Police Review Authority, which preceded the Civilian Office of Police Accountability, investigated the shooting and ruled it justified.

“It is possible if not likely” that Rios “turned to see whether and how closely the officer was in pursuit and, in so doing, gave the officer the impression that he was threatening use of the gun,” the authority’s final report said.

A city council committee had been penciled into consider the settlement on Monday.

ARTICLE: PAUL MURDOCH 

MANAGING EDITOR: CARSON CHOATE

PHOTO CREDITS: CHICAGO SUN TIMES

The following two tabs change content below.
Paul, 37, is from Scotland in the UK, but currently lives and works in Bangkok. Paul has worked in different industries such as telemarketing, retail, hospitality, farming, insurance, and teaching, where he works now. He teaches at an all-girls High School in Bangkok. “It’s a lot of work, but I love my job.” Paul has an active interest in politics. His reason for writing for FBA is to offer people the facts and allow them to make up their own minds. Whilst he believes opinion columns have their place, it is also important that people can have accurate news with no bias.

Leave a Reply