Queen Elizabeth II is said to be spending millions of pounds funding Prince Andrew‘s fight against sex abuse allegations, reports say.
The Duke of York is being sued in New York by Virginia Giuffre, now 38, who claims he sexually abused her on three separate occasions when she was 17 in London, New York and on billionaire paedophile Jeffrey Epstein‘s Caribbean island. Andrew, 61, has consistently and strongly denied the allegations. Her Majesty, 95, agreed to pay for the duke’s legal defence last year shortly after his uncomfortable interview on BBC Newsnight, according to the Daily Telegraph.
The duke last week expanded his American legal team to include Melissa Lerner alongside his lead counsel Andrew Brettler. Mr Brettler is thought to be charging the Duke around $2,000 (£1,476) an hour. The Queen will source funds from her private Duchy of Lancaster estate, the newspaper reported.
The prince’s UK legal team is reportedly keeping the Queen up to date on developments in the case. The source of Prince Andrew’s wealth is not widely known. David McClure, a royal finance expert, speaking about the arrangements, said: “Prince Andrew’s finances are shrouded in a pea soup of impenetrability. “He has an affluent lifestyle, but where does the money come from? He has no discernible income.”
Prince Andrew’s lawyers have obtained the deal signed by Virginia Roberts Giuffre in 2009 to settle her civil claim against Epstein. His team think that the contents of the deal with release Prince Andrew “from any and all liability.” Ms Robert Giuffre’s lawyers have asked a judge to sign off on the handover of the deal, a sign that they think it will have little bearing on the case, the Daily Mail reported.
ARTICLE: PAUL MURDOCH
MANAGING EDITOR: CARSON CHOATE
PHOTO CREDITS: RSS NEWSHUB
Latest posts by Paul Murdoch (see all)
- Joe and Jill Biden seen leaving restaurant maskless in violation of DC’s indoor mask mandate - October 20, 2021
- NYC judge blocks father from visiting daughter in custody dispute pending vaccination - October 20, 2021
- Trump files lawsuit against National Archives, January 6. committee to block records request - October 20, 2021