Members of the Flat Rock community gathered at a local high school on Sunday for an update on the government’s response to the leak of benzene vapors into the sewers. “It’s been going on for four or five days,” resident Darrell Gore told FOX2 Detroit. “There’s a lack of transparency, we haven’t really gotten the answers to a lot of our questions, so that’s why we’re here.”
The Michigan Department of Health and Human Services (MDHHS) encouraged residents of certain affected zones to evacuate over concerns of possible risk, according to the station. “We don’t believe there is any imminent danger to the residence at this time, however, we are acting out of an abundance of caution,” said MDHHS Director Elizabeth Hertel.
Flat Rock Mayor Mark Hammond said that while 465 homes are being asked to evacuate, officials are leaving the decision up to the families, the station reported. Ford executive Bob Holycross, who serves as vice president of sustainability, environment and safety engineering, spoke to residents for the first time on Sunday, acknowledging that “Ford is the source of the problem,” WDIV-TV reported.
“I want to apologize again for what happened and the people whose lives are impacted,” he said. Holycross said that the fuel leak was initially discovered Wednesday and Ford shut down the pipe believing the leak had been contained to the assembly plant property. He said that by Friday it was determined the leak was much larger than previously thought.
ARTICLE: PAUL MURDOCH
MANAGING EDITOR: CARSON CHOATE
PHOTO CREDITS: CANADIAN METAL WORKING
Latest posts by Paul Murdoch (see all)
- Kenosha shooting lawsuit accuses police of conspiring with militia - October 19, 2021
- Democrats weigh carbon tax after Manchin rejects key climate provisions - October 19, 2021
- Virginia education department reportedly told schools to ’embrace critical race theory’ in 2015 - October 19, 2021