News

Student killed in North Carolina high school shooting—police still hunting gunman

A gunman killed a student Wednesday during a shooting at a North Carolina high school and a suspect is still on the loose, authorities said.

Authorities responded to Mount Tabor High School just before 12:10 p.m. to reports of a shooting where they were informed that a student was wounded and a suspect, also believed to be a student, was on the loose, an emotional Winston-Salem police Chief, Catrina Thompson, told reporters. The school immediately went into lockdown, she said. “We are actively seeking the suspect,” the department tweeted. “We have no confirmed information of any other shootings or injuries.”

“Medical responders began life-saving measures and the injured student was transported to Wake Forest University Baptist Medical Center, where he succumbed to his injuries, Thompson said. The suspected shooter left the high school and authorities began searching.

Hours later, authorities said all the other students were safe and had been taken to the Harris Teeter grocery store, where they reunited with their parents. The Winston-Salem Police Department said there was a disturbance at the Harris Teeter site but a possible second shooting had not been confirmed.

“We and the WSPD have secured the campus and are doing everything possible to keep students safe,” the sheriff’s office said. “We are actively investigating what happened and will share confirmed information as appropriate.” The high school and other schools in the area were placed on lockdown out of an abundance of caution but no other incidents were reported, the Winston-Salem Police Department said [FOX].

MANAGING EDITOR: CARSON CHOATE
PHOTO CREDITS: NBC MIAMI

Leave a Reply