The CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention) have extended an order limiting entry into the U.S. of noncitizens looking to cross the country’s northern and southern land borders due to concern over spreading coronavirus, while officials have claimed the order had often been ignored in the past.
The continuation of the Trump-era policy, commonly referred to as Title 42, is meant to curb the spread of COVID-19 by keeping migrants, except for unaccompanied minors and some families from entering the country. “This order was issued on August 2, 2021 and shall remain in effect until the CDC Director determines that the danger of further introduction of COVID-19 into the United States from covered noncitizens has ceased to be a serious danger to the public health, and the Order is no longer necessary to protect the public health,” the CDC said in a press release Monday.
The agency said it will review the situation every 60 days “to ensure that the Order remains necessary to protect the public health.” The extension comes amid claims that migrants with COVID-19 are being released into the U.S. and are disappearing. “We’re releasing people out of the door day in and day out with actual positive tests for COVID and more keep popping up,” Chris Cabrera, a vice president of the National Border Patrol Council, told Fox News on Saturday. Cabrera also said that people who do not exhibit symptoms are not tested at all.
Last week, Texas Gov. Greg Abbott issued an order barring providing ground transportation of migrants “who have been detained by CBP for crossing the border illegally or who would have been subject to expulsion under the Title 42 order.” Abbott’s order cited “President Biden’s failure to enforce the Title 42 order,” claiming that it “is having a predictable and potentially catastrophic effect on public health in Texas.”
“The dramatic rise in unlawful border crossings has also led to a dramatic rise in COVID-19 cases among unlawful migrants who have made their way into our state, and we must do more to protect Texans from this virus and reduce the burden on our communities,” Abbott said in a statement upon issuing the order. “This Executive Order will reduce the risk of COVID-19 exposure in our communities.”
ARTICLE: PAUL MURDOCH
MANAGING EDITOR: CARSON CHOATE
PHOTO CREDITS: NEWS.AZPM.ORG
Latest posts by Paul Murdoch (see all)
- Despite stiff fines, airlines have faced over 3,000 mask related incidents in 2021 - September 27, 2021
- Republican Maricopa County supervisors call on Kelli Ward to resign from GOP leadership - September 27, 2021
- President Biden’s agenda at risk of being derailed by setbacks on Capitol Hill, president says - September 27, 2021