News

Surfside building collapse latest: Death toll rises to 10 as search and rescue enters 5th day

The latest updates in the Surfside building collapse report a death toll of 10 with over 150 individuals still unaccounted for.

Officials are hopeful that more residents will be found alive as crews sift through the debris, which encompassed 55 housing units. “We’re digging through … rubbles of concrete the size of basketballs, the size of baseballs,” said Miami-Dade Fire Rescue Assistant Chief Raide Jadallah. “It’s going to take time; it’s not going to happen overnight.”

Rescue efforts have been ongoing for five days since the 12-story, 136 unit building suddenly collapsed Thursday morning. The Champlain Towers South condominiums were built in 1981. During the buildings’ 40-year recertification review in 2018, consultants noted “major structural damage” and suggested repair work.

This information was disregarded and may have led to the buildings’ collapse three years later. “There is going to be a thorough and full investigation of what led to this tragic event,” said Mayor Daniella Levine Cava. “We are going to get to the bottom of what happened here. Right now, our top priority is search and rescue.”

ARTICLE: ANTOINETTE AHO

MANAGING EDITOR: CARSON CHOATE

PHOTO CREDITS: THE INDEPENDENT

The following two tabs change content below.
Antoinette is a community college student in Sacramento, California. She is a Politics Editor at Fact Based America, a correspondent for Campus Reform, and a student journalist. She previously worked for Turning Point USA as a High School Coordinator.

Leave a Reply