News

At least one shot near George Floyd Square on first anniversary of George Floyd’s murder

At least one person has been injured after gunshots fired near George Floyd Square on the first anniversary of George Floyd’s murder.

The person who has been injured suffered non-life-threatening injuries after others reported gunshots near where George Floyd died a year ago, a spokesman for the Minneapolis Police Department said Tuesday. “This is an evolving incident. No further information is available at this time,” John Elder, the spokesman, said in an email. The Associated Press reported people heard as many as 30 shots a block away from George Floyd Square, causing bystanders to duck for cover. The news outlet also reported a singular bullet damaged a store window.

The gunfire took place hours before a festival, planned for later in the day on Tuesday, according to the AP. John Elder said police responded to reports of gunfire at 10:09 a.m. local time. Callers reported a suspect vehicle was “last seen leaving the area at a high rate of speed,” he said. “A short period of time later, an individual showed up at Abbott Northwestern Hospital suffering from a gunshot wound,” Elder said. “The victim has been transported to Hennepin County Medical Center for treatment.”

Philip Crowther, an Associated Press international reporter, was in the middle of filming a news shot when the gunfire started. “Here’s the moment shots were fired near George Floyd Square earlier this morning,” Crowther tweeted (@PhilipinDC). Crowther live-tweeted as others sheltered in place after the shots were fired. “BREAKING: shots appear to have been fired at George Floyd Square. Quiet now. People still sheltering in place,” he tweeted. Crowther tweeted that between a dozen and two dozen shots were fired and did not indicate if anyone has been injured. After the shooting ended, Crowther tweeted, “George Floyd Square very quiet again now. But a fellow reporter just had her phone smashed because she took photos of a storefront hit by a bullet.” Crowther also tweeted, “Very quickly things got back to normal. People here who spend a significant amount of time, the organizers, were running around asking, ‘Does anyone need a medic?’”

READ MORE UNBIASED NEWS AT FBANEWS.ORG

ARTICLE: JACOB ZUBY

POLITICS EDITOR: CARSON CHOATE

PHOTO CREDITS: DURHAM HERALD-SUN

Leave a Reply