Violence continues in city of Minneapolis after police shoot Daunte Wright, allegedly an accident

Violence sparked again in the city of Minneapolis after police shot and killed Daunte Wright during a traffic stop on Sunday afternoon.

A man was shot and killed by police in Minneapolis, Sunday, as violence ensued in the aftermath. Relatives have identified the man as 20-year old Daunte Wright. Bodycam footage was released, showing the officer’s actions up to the killing of Wright. Police Chief Tim Gannon has come out and stated that the shooting was accidental. “It is my belief the officer meant to deploy their Taser but shot him with a single bullet,” he said on Monday morning. The officer responsible was sent home and put on immediate administrative leave following the incident, and an investigation is supposed to go underway during the officer’s absence.

Brooklyn Center’s mayor issued a curfew that lasted until 06:00, telling people to “be safe, go home”. After the BLM riots that engulfed the city and various cities nationwide during the summer of last year, Minneapolis is not taking any chances with the heightened climate at this time. The Governor of Minnesota also had something to say in a speech to the press following the incident, stating that they are not messing around this time when it comes to police presence and security in the streets. In an early-morning video post on the death of Daunte Wright, Mayor Elliott said “our hearts are with his family” and pledged “we are going to make sure that everything is done in our power to ensure justice”. He urged protestors who were demonstrating to do so peacefully, avoiding the looting and rioting. Tensions in Minneapolis have already been heightened since the tragic death of George Floyd in May of last year, and the trial of Derek Chauvin which has been underway for about two weeks now.

A Minneapolis courtroom just 10 miles from the latest scene of violence will resume proceedings on Monday, with the prosecution expected to wrap up its case and the defence of the ex-officer, Derek Chauvin, to begin. Late Sunday evening, a mix of protestors and rioters gathered outside the police headquarters in Brooklyn Center. Police donned riot gear, and two police vehicles were ambushed with rocks and stones while being jumped on by violent rioters, according to Reuters. Protestors with chalk and lit candles wrote on the streets surrounding the station as officers ordered them to disperse, which further heightened the tension. Rioters broke into and vandalized roughly 20 businesses in a surrounding shopping center, sporadic looting taking place across the city of Minneapolis, according to the StarTribune. 





Leave a Reply