Former President Donald Trump told Fox News Sunday night that he had concerns over the crowd size near the Capital days before the January 6th riots. Due to his concerns, Trump claimed that he personally requested 10,000 National Guard troops to be deployed.
Trump said his team had alerted the Department of Defense days before the January 6th rally that there might be a larger crowd size than anticipated. They suggested 10,000 National Guard troops be deployed for the rally. Trump also stated that to his understanding the message was passed along to other leaders at the Capital, including House Speaker Pelosi. The request was said to be rejected because the leaders did not like the optics of 10,000 National Guard troops at the Capital. “So, you know, that was a big mistake,” Trump said. Former Capital Police Chief Steven Sund told a Senate panel that he had received a warning January 5th about possible violence at the Capital. Sund quickly relayed it to other law enforcement agencies.
Sund and House Sergeant-at-Arms Paul Irving had conflicting stories on when the National Guard had been requested. Sund claimed he had sent a request to Irving’s office around 1:09 PM January 6th and claimed that it was denied because Irving was concerned about the “optics” of having them present. Irving called the claim “categorically false” and stated he had not received a request until 2PM. During his rally on the White House Ellipse on January 6, Trump urged his crowd of supporters to “peacefully and patriotically” march to the Capitol and pressure lawmakers not to certify Joe Biden’s victory. Since the January 6th Capital riots, 260 people have been arrested.
Trump told Hilton that he ‘hated’ to see the riot unfold, but he compared it to the massive Black Lives Matter and Antifa riots in cities like Portland and Seattle. “I hate to see any of that, but it is a double standard,” he said. Mystery still surrounds the January 6 Capitol attack, including why National Guard were not deployed earlier to the scene as the riot unfolded. Last month, former White House Chief of Staff Mark Meadows also told Fox host Maria Bartiromo that Trump issued a ‘direct order’ to have up to 10,000 troops ready before his rally on January 6.
In the days following the riot, the city filled up with approximately 26,000 National Guardsmen. It has since been discovered that the riots had been planned months in advance. There is currently fear over another possible militia attack at the Capital on March 4th. Capital Police have beefed up security over fears of another attack. Concerns over another attack are stemming from a Qanon conspiracy theory that March 4th is the real inauguration day and that former President Trump will resume power on that day. Around 5,000 National Guard troops will remain in D.C. until mid-March. There is also a security fence with razor wire atop surrounding the entire Capitol Hill complex.
ARTICLE: DUSTIN RODGERS
POLITICS EDITOR: CARSON CHOATE
PHOTO CREDITS: ROLLING STONE