President Donald Trump has been blocked from using his Facebook and Instagram indefinitely by CEO Mark Zuckerberg, according to USA Today.
Zuckerberg originally planned to block Trump for 24 hours, but then extended the ban indefinitely. “We believe the risks of allowing the President to continue to use our service during this period are simply too great,” Zuckerberg wrote in a Facebook post Thursday. “Therefore, we are extending the block we have placed on his Facebook and Instagram accounts indefinitely and for at least the next two weeks until the peaceful transition of power is complete.”
Facebook’s actions came too late, says the Real Oversight Board, a Facebook watchdog organization not affiliated with Facebook. “It took a literal insurrection for Facebook to do the right thing,” the group said in a statement sent to USA TODAY and posted on Twitter. “It has now banned Donald Trump – as we called for yesterday – until the inauguration. But it is only because of its failure to take action previously that we are at this point.” Many critics of Facebook blocking Trump claim media companies should not be allowed to silence the President of the United States.
ENTERTAINMENT EDITOR: CONNOR KMIECIK
PHOTO CREDITS: EVAN VUCCI/AP PHOTO
Latest posts by Connor Kmiecik (see all)
- NBC will not be airing Golden Globes following controversy regarding diversity within the organization - May 13, 2021
- Democrat Senator Joe Manchin says he was ready to “stay and fight” during Capitol riots on January 6th - May 4, 2021
- Astronaut Michael Collins, a member of the Apollo 11 mission that landed on the moon, has died at 90 - May 4, 2021