St. Louis officer killed Saturday, becoming first to die in the line-of-duty since 2011 in the city


Two St. Louis police officers were shot in the line of duty Saturday, with one of them dying from his wounds Sunday, the department said. ~

The fallen officer, identified as Tamarris Bohannon, 29, served with the St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department for over three years, and is the first officer in St. Louis to die in the line-of-duty since 2011 (NY Post). The second officer who was shot in the leg was treated and released after the shooting around 6 PM in the South Grand neighborhood near Tower Grove Park, St. Louis Police Department spokeswoman Officer Michelle Woodling said. Woodling said the second officer is 30 and has been on the force about six months. The 43-year-old suspect was taken into custody Sunday morning. ~

The St. Louis officers were reportedly answering a call for another reported shooting victim when the gunman shot Bohannon in the head and the other officer in the leg Saturday evening (ABC). The officers were “trying to do their job, that’s all they’re trying to do and they’re suffering under gunfire,” Hayden said. Hayden said eight of his officers have been shot in the line of duty since June 1. Mayor Lyda Krewson said in a statement Sunday night that she was “heartbroken” at Bohannon’s death. “I’ve had the privilege of spending some time with his family under these extraordinarily challenging circumstances. They’re wonderful people and immensely proud of the way he selflessly served and protected our community with distinction and honor for more than three years” (NBC). ~

St. Louis Metropolitan Police Department Chief John Hayden said the gunman ordered a family out of their home at gunpoint and barricaded himself inside for almost 12 hours, beginning Saturday evening. While the suspect was barricaded inside the home, officers armed with rifles and a SWAT team assembled outside. Police closed surrounding streets and warned residents to stay in their homes. Police used a bullhorn to order the suspect out and fired tear gas into the house, but fired no gunshots, the department said. The man was taken into custody around 5:30 AM. Police have released no details about how the standoff came to an end. ~


Leave a Reply